It turns out most Aussies are conscious consumers, only buying products that align with their values. These values are mostly around:
- The Environment
- Fair Trade
“Every buying decision has the power to change the world a little and we’re beginning to see a shift as Australians are increasingly choosing brands that operate ethically and sustainably over those that don’t,” said PayPal Australia shopping expert Jess Rix.
This consumer attitude has been around for years, but today it’s driven by young Aussies.
The discovery comes from PayPal’s 2019 mCommerce Index, showing a staggering 55% of the 22,000 Aussies surveyed are conscious consumers.
Why has the conscious consumer wave started?
It's all about purchasing power.
- Conscious shoppers know they can make an impact
- Boycotting certain brands can devastate companies who have a negative impact
- Purchasing specific products reward companies who have sustainable and ethical practices
What do we know about conscious consumers?
- 66% of Aussies aged 18-35 have made valued-based purchase decisions in the last 12 months
- 1-in-5 Gen Z's (19%) and 10% of Aussies buy environmentally-sustainable products and services wherever possible - regardless of price.
“Aussies are putting their money where their mouth is when it comes to environmentally and socially sustainable products,” said PayPal Australia shopping expert Jess Rix.
Conscious Consumers love Customer reviews
If you’re a conscious consumer, do you read reviews? If you’re like most Aussies in the PayPal survey, you do.
A whopping 2-in-5 (40%) of Conscious Consumers have purchased products or services based on a positive online customer review.
Instead of being told what’s cool and what’s not, most Aussies are actively looking to find what’s right for them. Listening to their peers is a big part of that.
DISCOVER WHAT YOUR PEERS SAY ABOUT ECO-FRIENDLY SKINCARE HERE
Do your purchase decision reflect your values?