How great would it be to find a product that would give you plumped up, hydrated, younger looking skin without the use of harsh chemicals?
Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient found in many skin care products that can do all those things and more for your skin. Sometimes merely listed as HA in the ingredient list of products, hyaluronic acid is not your typical acid. If you have ever had a chemical peel, you have felt glycolic, salicylic or maybe lactic acid on your face. The primary purpose of these acids is to exfoliate your skin. These substances burn and sting on your face as they exfoliate your skin. Hyaluronic acid is an entirely different type of acid. This acid type occurs naturally in your skin and many other places in your body. Hyaluronic acid is an altogether natural gel-like moisture binding ingredient. There is nothing harsh, harmful or painful about it.
Use of Hyaluronic Acid in Skin Care
The incredible thing about hyaluronic acid is its ability to hold moisture. Incredibly, a tiny gram of hyaluronic acid can hold up to 6 litres of water! That is over 1000 times its weight. This incredible feature is what makes hyaluronic acid the perfect skin care ingredient. By holding all that moisture into your skin, can you imagine the benefits that you would be getting? Of course, our skin cells do produce hyaluronic acid naturally. Their primary purpose in skin cells is to help maintain moisture levels. The problem is, that as with everything else when we start to age production slows down. Our cells gradually begin to make less and less of this vital substance needed for moisture.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
- The main advantage is hydration. Wrinkles, fine lines and hollow sagging skin often begin with dehydration. Hyaluronic acid helps to prevent that by holding in so much moisture. Properly hydrated skin feels soft, looks healthy and glowing and is plumped and younger looking.
- Skin will appear more radiant when it is sufficiently hydrated.
- As skin plumps with hydration, fine lines and wrinkles appear diminished.
- The great thing is that hyaluronic acid can be used on any skin type, even sensitive or breakout-prone, and oily with no adverse effects.
- Hyaluronic acid contains plenty of antioxidant properties for the fight against free radicals. This helps heal from damage from UV rays, pollutants and other stress factors.
- Increased production of collagen is another advantage of using a product for your skin containing hyaluronic acid. Collagen productions slows as we age causing a loss of elasticity and saggy skin with wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid can help to promote an increase in the collagen production. This ingredient will help to plump up skin further and diminish wrinkles.
- Hyaluronic acid contains some antibacterial properties making is excellent for helping with control of acne.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of hyaluronic acid help to soothe irritated skin improving its appearance.
Hyaluronic acid is an excellent ingredient to look for in your skin care products. The benefits are numerous, and the results are almost immediate. Remember to look for it close to the top of your product’s ingredient list. The ingredients with the highest concentration will be listed first in any product. Make sure hyaluronic acid is up there somewhere and don’t miss your chance to take advantage of this anti-aging ingredient.